The Role Shift plugin is one of the newest, but also one of the most wanted. While I’m still not sure how popular is it, its functionality seems to be much needed. For this reason I mention this plugin in my book (see the right side), and for the latter reason I also hurried to make this release.
This release, however, does not bring any new functionality – it just makes the plugin usable under Redmine 1.4.x, 2.0.x, 2.1.x and 2.2.x. The plugin also does not loose the "b" (beta) marker as I’m not sure, that it works without issues (remember – ).
To be familiar with events related to the plugin (e.g., to know about new features coming with its new versions) subscribe to the project using the "Subscription" block on the sidebar. Under this block you can also select types of events, you are interested in.
To buy the book, in which this plugin is mentioned along with many other plugins and iteresting things, use this link or the "Buy the book" button on the right side of the page (by the way, two buttons (Facebook’s and Google’s ones) beneath it allow you to subscribe to the book’s news).
Did you ever want to restrict access to some projects maintaining role names?.. I.e. not by creating special roles like "
<Project name> developer"?.. I did!
What I also wanted to do is to make some projects more restrictive for non-members... That’s the situation when the problem really occurs! You can’t assign a different role for non-members! As well as you can’t assign a different role to anonymous users... That’s Redmine limitation!
And like other limitations this one can also be evaded... with my Redmine Role Shift plugin!
How does it work and what does it do?
To change the default behaviour the plugin performs "role shifting" and it does this transparently to Redmine/ChiliProject. A visible role seems to remain the same but its permissions get replaced with shift role’s permissions. So visually restricted projects won’t differ from others (e.g. same "Authors", "Contributors" etc).
This was not the idea to do things this way! That was how the Redmine API allowed to change roles (I replace role permissions when Redmine/ChiliProject requests a role for a user). Of course, it’s a ! While it seems to work fine for me because it’s a hack there can be issues! And for this reason the current version is beta!
Please read main Wiki page for how to use the plugin correctly (safe).
Also if you are interested in future changes please subscribe to this project using the form on the sidebar which is provided by my Redmine Subscription plugin.
Also available in: Atom